Guidelines for Sending Mass E-mail to Students
The following guidelines manage the flow of mass email to and between students:
- Mass email is generally defined as unsolicited email sent to more than 50 students. The same message may not be sent multiple times to fewer than 50 students to circumvent these guidelines.
- Separate stand-alone mass email should only be sent to students to make significant announcements regarding registration, important deadlines, fee payment and other need-to-know information. Such email should be compelling, brief and to the point.
- Routine information about campus events, activities, programs, etc., may be included on the Current Students website rather than in a separate stand-alone mass email.
- Random sample mass email is sent to students for the purpose of requesting participation in taking a survey. The Office of Institutional Research helps define the parameters of the population for the survey (e.g., undergraduate only? taking courses online or on-campus?) and decides on the sample size.
- Emails soliciting support for or against an ASBSU candidate for office, or ballot initiative, are prohibited.
Responsibility for Approval
The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management oversees mass email sent to students to ensure that communication is consistent, accurate, and coordinated. This includes the responsibility for reviewing and approving content and sending regular updates and announcements. All unsolicited mass email to students must be approved in advance by the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management. The Vice President can approve the request to be sent:
- as a separate stand-alone email on a one-time basis
- as a separate stand-alone email on a specified routine basis
- as a random sample mass email that is, or is not, part of a research project; random sample emails also need approval from the Office of Institutional Research; and random sample emails that are part of a research project need additional approval from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) Office of Sponsored Projects
Stand-alone and/or Targeted Mass Email
Complete the “Request to Send Mass Email to Students” form at least one week prior to the date the mass email is to be sent.
If the mass email is to be sent to all students, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management will obtain the email addresses. However, if the mass email is to be sent to a targeted group of students, complete the Student Records Query Request to request the specific list of students to whom the mass email will be sent.
Random Sample Mass Email
If the request to email students involves asking them to complete a survey, contact the Office of Institutional Research to discuss obtaining a sample for the study. If not, contact the Registrar to request an email list.
If the request to email students includes a survey as part of a research project, IRB approval is needed. For guidelines and to start the process, click on RESEARCH COMPLIANCE.
For all mass emails, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management will notify the requester and the Registrar if the request is approved.
The turnaround time to receive student email addresses is typically 10 days.
The Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Management delegates the authority to approve and send unsolicited mass email to students under the following conditions:
- College Deans who wish to communicate with students enrolled in their college
- Instructors and academic departments that wish to communicate with students in their major(s).
- Instructors who wish to communicate with the students enrolled in their classes.
- Student organizations that wish to communicate with their members or other interested individuals on their own email list.
- Emails related to student organizations or Associated Students of Boise State University (ASBSU) official business sent by Student Involvement and Leadership Center to student organization officers and advisors.
- Every attempt is made to protect recipients’ privacy (i.e., blind copying recipients rather than publicly listing recipients’ email addresses)
- All mass emails must be related to university business.
If you are a student and need to request student information from the Office of the Registrar for use on campus or on behalf of your affiliated national organization you can place your request by filling out the student query request form with the Student Involvement and Leadership Center. Request Form for use by student organizations
If you are a staff or faculty member please use the Request Form for departmental use.